Thursday, December 20, 2007

Two foods to rule the world

There are 2 foods - if they can so be classified - that are supposed to be eaten with something, but that I prefer to eat solo. I have an unnatural obsession with both foods, which may explain why I feel the need for the unadulterated substance. Whenever I am on the cusp of giving into these cravings, I attempt to persuade myself in an unconvincing manner that it simply is not civilized to eat these foods without some sort of accompaniment. Almost without fail, my penchant for white-trash-eat-out-of-a-jar foods wins over, and I eat imprudently. Careful, I'm not saying that hummus and Nutella are trashy foods. I just think I might be trashy for eating them straight out of the jar. And the part that bothers me most is that I can't quite explain this intense craving that I get for these foods, and why I can't feel satisfied eating them on something. Well, Nutella I guess is pretty easy: I'm a girl, and it's in my blood, right? But, the hummus. Why, hummus? Could it be the pungent breath that outlasts the Energizer bunny? I think not. Or how 'bout that Tahini? That's a pretty unique ingredient. Or how about the fact that despite my desire to eat it alone, it goes with everything? There's really nothing you can't put hummus on. Now, really. Could it be that I was Greek in a past life? Maybe I'm pregnant? I'm not sure, and I am beginning to feel overwhelmed with the darting questions. All I know is that I love my hummus and my Nutella. And you can't take that away from me.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Heather, I love your blog. You are so clever and funny.

M. said...

Heath, completely agree with the Nutella...but hummus..on its own?! I'll warn your hubby about that ;)